Fox nuts, also popularly known as lotus seeds and makhana, is an amazing snack to munch on. Roasted with a spoonful of ghee and topped with some salt and pepper, crunchy Baz makhana tastes heavenly. In fact makhanas are healthy and nutritious and have paved their way in “healthy food”. Fox nuts come from a plant known as Euryale fox that grows in the ponds of Eastern Asia. Baz makhana are low in sodium and cholesterol, and high in proteins, making them an ideal snack for munching. They are also gluten free and high in carbohydrates. Moreover makhanas are the ones which help in losing weight if eaten in the right manner and right quantity.
How to Consume Makhana
The beauty of these lotus seeds is versatile. You can roast the seeds in a spoon of ghee and sprinkle some of your favorite spices to add some taste. These puffed seeds resemble popcorn. Makhana can also be used as an ingredient in dishes like kheer, vegetable curry, and in makhana chops. A paste made of makhana seeds is used by Japanese and Chinese ingredients to make a dessert. The seeds themselves have a natural taste and also add flavors in which they are added to.
1. Lotus seeds are low in sodium and fats, and high in potassium and magnesium and this makes them useful for people suffering from high blood pressure.
2. The high calcium content makes them good for teeth and bones.
3. Makhana contains astringent properties which help to reduce kidney problems.
4. Makhana also contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that make them excellent for reducing chronic inflammation and oxidative stress in the body.
5. They are low glycemic index food, which makes them great for diabetes.
6. Makhana contains calcium and iron in them which makes it great for pregnant women.